The purpose of the Special Achievement Award is to honour writers who have made a significant achievement in their writing careers during the past year.
- The person chosen to receive the award must be nominated by someone other than himself/herself.
- The recipient must be commercially or self-published within the last year.
- Nominees who have also contributed to the writing community will be given priority consideration.
- Works can include books, poetry, short stories, and/or articles. There is no restriction on genre or topic.
How to Nominate:
All nominations should be submitted in letter form containing:
- Your name, address, telephone number and a short introduction, including your relationship to the nominee.
- The name, address, and telephone number of the nominee, with a general biography if possible.
- A list of works (as complete as possible) by the nominee, one of which has been published within the last year. Include titles, dates of publication, and names of publications or publishing houses.
- A 500-word (maximum) explanation of the nominee's significant achievement(s) in their writing career in the past year, including, if applicable, information on his/her contribution(s) to the writing community (e.g. teaching, writing-related volunteer work).
- A sample (e.g. photocopy) of the nominee's work, particularly from that which was published within the last year. Please note the sample cannot be returned.
- There is no entry fee.
The award recipient will be selected solely by the Surrey International Writers' Conference Board of Directors.
Presentation of the Awards
The recipient will be announced at the conference's opening ceremony. The recipient will receive a framed certificate and, with the recipient's permission, the press will be notified.
Mail nominations/recommendations to
Surrey Board of Trade Special Achievement Award
Surrey International Writers Conference
Suite # 544
151 - 10090 152nd Street
Surrey, BC V3R 8X8
E-mail: Surrey Board of Trade Special Achievement Award nominations may also be sent to c.merrells at siwc.ca.