SiWC 2013 Writing Contest opens April First!
Sharpen your pencils -- the contest will re-open on April 1, 2013.
The contest features blind judging in four categories:
- SIWC Storyteller's Award
- SIWC Non-fiction Award
- SIWC Poetry Award
- SIWC Writing For Young People Award
The winning entries are sold as an anthology during the conference.
2013 SiWC Writing Contest Submission Rules & Guidelines
1.The Surrey International Writers' Conference Writing Contest is open to all writers 18 years and older. Young writers may submit to Surrey Public Library's Young Writers' Contest.
2. All submissions must contain original material, and may not have been previously published, accepted for publication, or have been a winner in another contest prior to the September 13/13 deadline. This includes online publication of anything more than a brief excerpt of the work.
3. Four Categories:
SIWC Storyteller's Award: short stories 2,500 – 5,000 words
SIWC Non-fiction Award: maximum length 1,500 words
SiWC Writing For Young People Award: maximum length 1,500 words
SIWC Poetry Award: one poem per submission: 100 lines max.
4. Standard manuscript format — double-spaced, 12 pt type, one side only, on white paper. Each page should include title/page number in footer. No staples, please. Poetry may be single-spaced.
5. Blind submissions — the author's name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript except cover page.
6. Hard copy submissions will be accepted by snail mail. Send your entry to:
PO Box 42023, RPO Guildford, Surrey, BC, V3R 1S5
Include a cover page listing the writer's name, address, email address, phone number, entry title, word length, and award competition category. Attach to manuscript with paper clip. All information is held in strict confidence, and will be destroyed after the contest winners are announced. Manuscripts are not returned.
7. Entries are also accepted by email. Please follow the formatting guidelines as noted above and copy your cover page information and your submission into the body of your email. Send your email to email@example.com. Attachments will be deleted, unread. The contest coordinator will print and format your submission (including a cover page) for consideration by the judges. You may pay directly online via Paypal or send your cheque or money order to SiWC Writing Contest, PO Box 42023, RPO Guildford, Surrey, BC, V3R 1S5. Emailed entries will not be considered until the entry fee is received.
8. Please note there are only two options for submission of entries: regular mail and email.
There is no drop-off point available for hard copies.
9. In addition to hard copy, all entrants must be able to submit their work by email if requested. Short-listed writers will be notified in early October.
9. No entries will be returned. Entries are acknowledged as received by email.
10. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: All entries must be postmarked or emailed by midnight, Friday, September 13, 2013. No late entries will be considered.
11. ENTRY FEES: $15 per submission. You may enter as many pieces as you like in one or more categories, with each entry accompanied by the $15 fee. You may combine fees in one cheque or money order made payable to SiWC and include with your hard copy entry, or mail separately in the case of email entries. You may also submit payment via Paypal. There is a button on the siwc.ca contest page that will take you to the Paypal site.
12. Winners will be informed by October 12, 2013. Prizes will be awarded at the Awards Ceremony, Friday, October 20, 2013. Winners will be listed on the conference website www.siwc.ca in the week after the conference.
13. Prizes: The winner of each category receives $1000, plus a copy of the anthology. Honourable Mention in each category receives $150, plus a copy of the anthology.
Prizes are awarded at the discretion of the judges. All winning entries will be published in the Writing Contest anthology, available at the conference Friday evening, immediately following the announcement of the winners.
Direct any queries about the contest to kc dyer: firstname.lastname@example.org.