Agent Tricia Skinner was raised in Detroit, Michigan. She obtained her undergraduate degree from the nationally acclaimed Journalism Institute for Media Diversity at Wayne State University and earned her graduate degree from Southern Methodist University. Professionally, she began her writing career as a newspaper reporter and wrote for The Detroit News, Investor’s Business Daily, MSN, and The Houston Chronicle. She’s covered small & minority business, personal finance, and technology.
Tricia has 20 years of experience working with the video game industry in various roles, including public relations, industry relations, and writing/editing. She is also a hybrid author of passionate urban fantasy (represented by Fuse co-founder Laurie McLean).
Diversity in genre fiction is dear to Tricia’s heart. As an agent, Tricia wants to represent authors who reflect diversity and cultures in their work. She specializes in Adult, Young Adult and Middle Grade. On the personal side, Tricia has a Tom Hiddleston obsession and she is definitely Team Vader. Her family includes three Great Danes (so far).
Wish List & Submissions Info
(updated March 10, 2017)
Diverse authors are strongly encouraged to query their work. I only want to see manuscripts that are new, unpublished, and completed. Please email your 300-word-or-less query letter followed by the first 10 pages (no prologues) in the body of your email (no attachments) to email@example.com.
My response time takes up to 16 weeks. Unfortunately, the volume of queries I get means most writers will not receive personal feedback, but every query that follows my submission guidelines will receive a response. Queries sent to my non-query email address, to my author website, or through any social media channel will be deleted.
Stories with romance or strong romantic elements are high on my wish list. I prefer stories with building sexual tension and believable attraction. I do consider stories without romance (but it’s not my favorite thing). I’m interested in Adult, New Adult, Young Adult and very select Middle Grade.
• Fascinating urban legends (NOT the same old fairy tales, Shakespeare or Jane Austen stories, please!)
• Dark/edgy modern fantasy/urban fantasy (extraordinary creatures & world building!)
• Horror (romance elements a plus)
• Futuristic (modern setting with lots of advanced tech/changes to society)
• Mythology-based plots (Native American/South American/Eastern Europe/Asian/African/Pacific Region)
• Military/special ops (specifically seeking blended military forces or foreign agencies)
• Supernatural (extraordinary creatures/world building)
• Alternate history (no Steampunk, please)
• Historical fantasy (diversify those characters!)
• LGBTQ protagonist in these subgenres/in primary role.
• Light science fiction (non-romance or minor romantic elements is fine)
I DO NOT WANT:
• Previously published or self-published work.
• Science fiction romance (where romance is the key element)
• Erotica in any subgenre
• Contemporary Thriller/Mystery
• Civil War
• Drug or alcohol fueled “dark/edgy” stories
• World War II (especially concentration camp romances)
• Romances set in the 1950s, 60s, or 70s
• Non-fiction of any kind
• Women’s fiction
• Short stories of any kind